Running a Pub
How to apply for a Batemans pub
Naturally there’s lots to consider when applying to run a pub; whether as a tenant, operating partner or a manager. So we’ve put together a guide on what to expect.
If you’ve enquired about the pub you want and think you’re ready to go for it, you can download an application form (see the appropriate section below). There’s plenty to take in, so please do give us a call first if you’d like to talk through anything.
Applying to be a pub tenant or operating partner
If you’re interested in becoming a Batemans business-owner, here’s what you’ll need to do during the application process…
- Register your interest in a pub then complete an application form (if you don’t have a specific pub in mind, go to step 4).
- Visit the pub and the surrounding competition.
- Draft a business plan to show how you’ll develop the business.
- Provide us with evidence of your credit-worthiness, your personal licence, proof of identity and two references we can follow up.
- Discuss your business plan with our Profit Partnership team; the pub’s profit & loss forecast and accounts, and a suitable Profit Partnership Plus agreement.
- If you’re a prospective tenant, familiarise yourself (and confirm you’re happy) with the Profit Partnership Plus Agreement, together with our Eyes Wide Open manual and the industry’s Tenanted Code of Practice (1-499 Tied Pubs).
- If you’re a prospective operating partner, familiarise yourself (and confirm you’re happy) with agreement and our Eyes Wide Open code of practice.
- Familiarise yourself with the insurance and repair & maintenance responsibilities, our price list, terms and conditions, and any legal restrictions on the use of the premises and/or your personal licence.
- Watch our Profit Partnership presentation and take the industry pre-awareness training (PEAT) module, so you feel completely confident about taking on an agreement and understand your responsibilities, as well as ours.
- Attend the industry’s Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders course, pass the exam then apply to the local council for your personal licence.
- If you’re applying to be a business owner, you’ll need to attend our two-day pub-business course – Running a Successful Pub <link to Run a pub/Running a successful pub> – which is free (you just need to cover your accommodation).
- We’ll talk to you about any changes in the pub’s locality that may affect trading, such as developments to competing leisure businesses (we’ll inform and advise you as best we can).
- Provide evidence that you’ve taken independent financial advice, which forms part of your agreement.
- Sign all the paperwork (including your agreement and the Designated Premises Supervisor, or DPS, consent form), give us your company details, and make any deposits as necessary.
If all goes well, we’ll hand you the keys to your new pub!
Applying to be a pub manager
Want to be a Batemans pub manager? Here’s what you need to do…
- Visit the managed pub you’re interested in, as well as the competition (if you haven’t got a pub in mind, you can go to step 3).
- Develop a business plan to show how you intend to drive the business forward.
- Make a formal application detailing your interest, experience and expertise.
- If successful, you’ll be interviewed by members of the Retail Team.
- We’ll ask you for two references.
- You’ll complete a period of training, which will include our Running a Pub Successfully course.
If all goes well, you’ll sign a contract of employment with us – and hopefully be ready and raring to go!